Tooth extraction for children can be a frightening experience since they do not know what to expect. We at TeethBuddies Pediatric Dentistry can help parents by offering means to make their kids feel comfortable during the procedure. But before that, we will first make sure that it is essential for the child to undergo such. The factors that dentists consider for tooth extractions are:
- If the permanent teeth erupt, but the primary tooth or two are still intact. It is performed to prevent the teeth from crowding.
- Tooth damaged by trauma or injuries that is beyond repair
- Badly decayed tooth
- In preparation for an orthodontic treatment
What Does the Procedure Involve?
Local anesthetics or sedation dentistry options will be used to make children feel pleasant during the procedure. The dentist would also advise them to undergo a dental x-ray to check the status of the oral structures like the bones and roots. The dentist would then perform either a simple or surgical type of extraction depending on the needs of the child.
Proper Care for Children After a Tooth Extraction
- Use an ice pack and place it against the cheek of the child for about 20 minutes to reduce any inflammation.
- It is best to serve them with soft foods for the first 24 hours to let the extraction site form a clot.
- Let the child take prescribed or over the counter pain medications to deal with discomforts and pain.
- Oral hygiene practices should continue but perform it in a gentler approach. It is necessary for children to brush and floss their teeth while avoiding the area of extraction.
- It is essential for the blood clot to form during the recovery period.
- Do not let children drink using a straw or spit vigorously to avoid removing the clot.
- Contact us immediately at TeethBuddies Pediatric Dentistry if there is severe swelling, fever, pain, and chills.
- Follow any instructions given by the dentist to make sure that the child would get the best care they deserve.
Your children also deserve outstanding dental care services! We provide Extractions in Milpitas, CA. Book your appointment with us at TeethBuddies Pediatric Dentistry and let us help them achieve beautiful and healthy teeth!